Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Spicy Peanut Penne aka "Thai Pasta"



adapted from "More Healthy Homestyle Cooking" by Evelyn Tribole

This meal is a staple in our house. For a while, we ate it once a week. I found it in one of my favorite cookbooks, "More Healthy Homestyle Cooking" by Evelyn Tribole. I got it on sale at Barnes and Noble and I have made so many great things from it! It's like a collection of all my favorite meals...but healthy(er)!

I've made a lot of changes to this recipe...for one it's not exactly spicy because I don't like spicy food. My husband will add some ground red pepper to his meal after I take mine! :) I also omitted and added ingredients and changed some measurements...so I'll post "my" take on this great meal!


Ingredients

1 box of Penne Pasta
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Cooking Spray
1 small-medium onion (can be omitted...I use this because my husband loves onions)
2 Tablespoons Honey
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
3-5 fresh chives
1/4-1/2 cup Creamy reduced fat peanut butter
1 tsp Cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground Ginger
1 Lime
2/3 Cup skim milk
1 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
Salt
Pepper

Directions

Bring large pot of water to a boil seasoned with salt and extra virgin olive oil. Cook Penne Pasta aprox 12-13 minutes, then drain. While pasta is cooking, cut up chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to a medium-large frying pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and cook through. Halfway through cooking, add onions to the chicken and let cook so they are translucent and just start to carmelize. Remove from heat.

In a medium mixing bowl add Peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, juice of 1 lime, cilantro and chives. Set aside. In a small saucepan, whisk together milk and cornstarch. Put over medium-low heat and let thicken, about 5 minutes. When thickened, pour over peanut butter mixture and whisk together until smooth.

Pour cooked and drained penne back into an empty large bowl or pot (I use the same one I used to cook the pasta in), add chicken and then add peanut sauce. Mix well. Serve with a salad or bread.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online