Monday, November 3, 2008

Sweet and Sour Chicken


I'm always on the quest to find new ways to make chicken, and up until I made this dinner I never did an "Asian-Style" meal. Mainly because I just don't like Chinese food. But when i saw this on the "My Kitchen Cafe" blog, I knew it was something that I'd like to try.
I paired the sweet and sour chicken with some brown rice and steamed broccoli.

My husband just raved over it...he said it was his "new favorite". I've already made this recipe twice and am sure that I'll make it again and again! It was great and easy-a perfect weeknight meal!
Sweet and Sour Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.
Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes. If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced - about 6-8 minutes.
Tips: The first time I made this, I made another batch of sauce because I thought my husband would like it. We definately did not need it. The recipe itself makes pleanty of sauce for 2 people!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online