Thursday, December 18, 2008

Chicken Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce


I bought a jar of curry paste at the Grocery store and swore I would do something with it, because I had never eaten it before. It sat in my cabinet for about a month or two, until I came across Good Things Catered's Chicken Satay which sounded really good, but turns out it was really great! My husband and I just loved it because it was just so different from what we normally eat. And I finally got to eat curry (which was very good)! This was a meal for my husband and I so I didn't put it on skewers and I cooked it in a baking dish. I also used "my" recipe for Thai Peanut sauce and drizzled it over the chicken pieces.

Ingredients:
Adapted from Good Things Catered

3 large chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise 1 - 1 1/2 inch wide
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 Tbsp canola oil (omitted, because I didn't have any)
1 Tbsp sesame oil (omitted, because I didn't have any)
Instead, I used: 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
juice of 1/2 lime
1 Tbsp curry powder (I used paste)
1/8 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, minced
2 green onions, white and light green portions sliced

Directions:
-In large bowl, combine soy sauce, oil, lime, curry, brown sugar, cilantro and green onion and and stir to combine.
-Add chicken pieces and toss to cover completely.
-Cover bowl and place in fridge for 1-2 hours.
-Remove chicken from fridge, line baking sheet with foil, top with cooling rack, and turn broiler on low. (I arranged the chicken pieces in a well greased 13x9 baking dish and poured the leftover marinade over the chicken)
-Weave chicken strips through bamboo skewers and place on cooling rack-topped baking sheet. (did not do)
-Place in middle of oven and broil until tops begin to brown slightly, about 5-7 minutes. (I broiled for 15 minutes)
-Remove from oven, flip chicken over and place back in to cook.
-Broil on low until cooked through, about 5 more minutes. (I broiled another 15 minutes)
-Remove, let cool for 3 minutes, and serve with Thai peanut sauce.

Thai Peanut Sauce

This is "my" recipe for peanut sauce. It's the same sauce in my "spicy peanut penne" and it's just so very good!

Ingredients:
Adapted from "More Healthy Homestyle Cooking" by Evelyn Tribole

2 Tablespoons Honey
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
3-5 fresh chives
1/2 cup Creamy reduced fat peanut butter
1 tsp Cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground Ginger
juice of 1 Lime
2/3 Cup skim milk
1 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch

Directions
In a medium mixing bowl add Peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, juice of 1 lime, cilantro and chives. Set aside. In a small saucepan, whisk together milk and cornstarch. Put over medium-low heat and let thicken (continue to whisk every so often), about 5 minutes. When thickened, pour over peanut butter mixture and whisk together until smooth.

I poured over my chicken but it would also be great as a dipping sauce.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online