Thursday, December 18, 2008

Chocolate Soufflé Cookies


When I saw these on the Noble Pig blog, I was really anxious to try them out. The whole not using flour in a cookie thing intrigued me. I planned on putting these on my Christmas Cookie tray for the office/neighbors/friends but my husband begged me not to...he said I've been baking all these things for the last few weeks and he's been so good not eating all of my cookies but he just loved these so much that he didn't want me to give them away. So I decided that he really has been a good boy so I let him keep them for himself (and me of course)! These cookies were really light and delicate on the outside and gooey and chocolatey on the inside. They were quite decadent for being so fragile. These were great and such a cinch to make.

Ingredients
Adapted from The Noble Pig

6 ounces good quality, bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (omitted)

Directions
Melt chocolate over a double boiler. When completely melted and smooth, set aside.

With a stand or hand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form.

With the beaters running, gradually add vanilla extract and granulated sugar until the egg whites hold stiff peaks but aren't dry.

Pour melted chocolate over the whipped whites, gently folding them into the mixture with a rubber spatula. Try not to deflate the whites and mix until the color is just uniform.

Immediately drop teaspoons of the batter onto two baking sheets covered in parchment paper. Space the drops 1-inch apart. Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and bake cookies at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Bake until the cookies are shiny and cracked. They will be firm on the outside but gooey on the inside when pressed. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
Makes about 22 cookies.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online