Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mezzi Rigatoni Alfredo with Prosciutto and Scallions


I was inspired to make this dish while I was at a Christmas Party a few weeks ago. The restaurant served something similar with Penne Pasta, a cream sauce (it wasn't Alfredo), ham and scallions. Well, the dish was really good there but my husband wasn't with me so I decided to try and recreate something similar for him. The result was heavenly. I got Mezzi Rigatoni for something a little different from our "norm", found a a great Tyler Florence Alfredo sauce recipe, and then decided to add in some Prosciutto and Scallions for an extra "kick". The creamy and rich alfredo sauce blended so well with the sharpness of the scallions and the mellow flavor of the Proscuitto. I will definately be making this again...my husband and I both loved it.

Ingredients
1 box of Mezzi Rigatoni pasta
4-5 slices of Proscuitto, chopped
4-5 bunches of washed scallions, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
salt
pepper
Alfred Sauce

Afredo Sauce Recipe
Adapted from Tyler Florence
Ingredients
1 pint heavy cream (I used 2 cups of half and half)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Freshly cracked black pepper
salt
3 tsp flour

Directions
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, about 10 minutes for Al Dente. Drain, and put back in large pot. Cover and set aside.

To make alfredo sauce, heat heavy cream over low-medium heat in a deep saute pan. Add butter and whisk gently to melt. Add 3 tsp of all purpose flour a little at a time in order to thicken the sauce up. When you have reached the desired consistency, sprinkle in cheese and stir to incorporate. Season with freshly cracked black pepper and salt.

Toss cooked pasta with Alfredo sauce, Chopped Prosciutto, Green onions, Shallots, Salt and pepper.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks wonderful and I'm due to make an alfredo soon!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online