Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Roasted Vegetable Tian





After another great trip to the farmers market, I found myself with an abundance of beautiful fresh veggies to use! So when I saw this recipe on Annie's Eats I thought it would be perfect to try out!

This recipe was truly fabulous. What a great way to present roasted vegetables, and it came out so delicious too! I didn't use the exact ingredients in the recipe, but I feel like that is the great thing about it! You can just use the freshest ingredients you have on hand. This is one that I can see me making over and over again!

Mine didn't come out quite as "pretty" as Annie's, because I used veggies that varied greatly in size and shape. But the taste was there which was all that mattered!
Ingredients
Adapted from Annie's Eats
Originally from Ina Garten, Barefoot in Paris

Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar (I added this)
2 large yellow onions, cut in half and sliced (I used one very large onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. medium round potatoes, unpeeled (I chose not use potatoes in this since I was making a side of potatoes au gratin for dinner that night)
3/4 lb. zucchini (I used 2 medium zucchini which ended up being just a bit too much!)
1 1/4 lb. medium tomatoes (I used 2 large tomatoes)
1 medium Eggplant, sliced (I added this)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs (I omitted)
2 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated (I used Parmesan and a bit of shredded mozzarella)
5-6 fresh sage leaves, chopped (I added this)
Aprox. 1 tsp dried rosemary (I added this)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brush a 9×13″ baking dish with olive oil. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan, and cook the onions over medium heat until translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the baking dish.

Slice the potatoes, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes in 1/4-inch thick slices. Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onions, fitting them tightly, making only one layer. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, thyme leaves, and thyme sprigs (Or sage and rosemary, if using). Drizzle with 1 more tablespoon of olive oil (and balsamic vinegar, if using), if desired. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Uncover the dish, remove the thyme sprigs, sprinkle the grated cheese on top , and bake for 30 minutes more, or until browned. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I've been wanting to try this recipe for over a year now (since having Barefoot In Paris). I will make sure I make it this summer! Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

OH YUM! All my favorites! This looks so delicious!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online