Monday, March 15, 2010

Barley Risotto




One thing I do quite often at the grocery store is buy something that I've never used before. It really helps me try new things and expand what I make each week. So last week I picked up pearled barley. I've had barely in soups before, but never as a side. So when I googled Barley dishes, I found barely risotto! We all know that I am a huge fan of risotto, so I was excited to make this!

I thought this was a great side dish. In fact, I could definitely eat a big plate of just this for dinner! It took a little longer to make then risotto with arborio, but not by much time. I thought this was very flavorful and delicious. In addition, it's a very hearty dish. This is definitely something I'll be making again and again!

Directions
Adapted from Epicurious, Originally from Bon Appétit , November 1997

4 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup pearl barley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried
4 fresh sage leaves, minced
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
salt
pepper
Parmesan cheese
Directions

Bring chicken stock to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.

Melt 2 teaspoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add barley, thyme, bay leaf, sage and 2 ladles full chicken stock; bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until most of stock is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add remaining stock one ladle full at a time, allowing stock to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until barley is tender, about 50 minutes.

Mix in parsley to barley mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon risotto into bowls and garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I love barley, great idea to use it in a risotto!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a fantastic companion to a glass of red wine.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online