Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Caramel Apples





Back in high school my two worst subjects were math and science. But today we're going to talk about science. Not like I hated it (math was far worse), but all those symbols and equations and yeah....it was just too complicated for me.

But as I age, I'm finding that I love making things that are, well, science-ey (Don't worry, I was an English major in college so I'm allowed to make up words). I love when one thing transforms into another, I LOVE my candy thermometer, and I love making big sticky messes. And since I have an influx of apples from the orchard, I decided to make caramel apples for my coworkers (and myself. And my husband.)

These came out SO cute! I loved making the caramel and decorating the sweet little apples. Some toppings I did were: Chocolate, Chocolate with Peanuts, Toffee bits, Halloween Sprinkles, and pecans (my personal favorite is the chocolate with peanuts)! These are impressive, adorable and a huge hit with kids and adults alike!!!

Ingredients
Source: Martha Stewart

1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 to 12 small apples, stems removed (I only got 9-10 out of the recipe)
Vegetable-oil cooking spray
Round wooden skewers

Directions


Heat sugar, cream, corn syrup, and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until butter has melted. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan, and continue to cook until mixture reaches 240 degrees. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Let cool for 5 minutes.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and coat with cooking spray. Insert a skewer into stem end of each apple. Dip apples in caramel, and place on sheet. Let stand until set, at least 1 hour. Apples can be stored airtight for up to 1 day.


5 comments:

Kathryn said...

What a great-looking fall treat! I always make apple turnovers around this time of year!

Anonymous said...

such GORGEOUSNESS!

Unknown said...

What a delicious looking desert! I have 3 apple trees with loads more apples than I know what to do with, thanks for the idea :)
*kisses* HH

Lisa said...

These apples are so pretty. Perfect for Halloween.

Lauren at KeepItSweet said...

just found your blog! your post made me very happy with the decision to purchase a candy thermometer this morning:-)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online