Friday, October 1, 2010

Caramel Corn




When I first told my husband I was making this he gave me a weird look. I asked him if he liked caramel corn and he replied "not really." I gave him a surprised look and asked why, if he like caramel, and popcorn, he didn't like caramel corn? And he just shrugged.

Well, never mind him, I thought it would be fun to make.

After it was finished, I made him try a piece. Then he asked if he could have another. Then he asked if he could have a bowl. Success! My husband is now a caramel corn convert.

I do have to warn you though - this stuff is SERIOUSLY addicting. You simply cannot have just one piece. I daresay it's worse than potato chips. Something about the sweet salty crunch just makes you want to have it more and more (and more). Enjoy!

Ingredients

Source: Christie's Corner

1 cup popcorn unpopped (makes enough to fill a Dutch over or about 6 quarts)
1 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 cups brown sugar (packed)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Directions

Preheat oven to 250F.

Pop popcorn using your preferred method (I just popped it with a little oil in my dutch oven over medium heat). Place popped corn in a very large bowl. If you don’t have a big enough bowl, use two bowls. You will need lots of room to toss the corn when coating it.

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the corn syrup, brown sugar and salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the sugar mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring.

Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla. The mixture will foam and become frothy.

Pour the caramel sauce over the popped corn and toss to coat thoroughly. Don’t worry about clumps as the caramel will turn much more spreadable while cooking and the coating can be evened out.

Spread the popcorn evenly onto 2 large cookie or baking sheets lined with foil and sprayed with non stick spray. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, tossing every 10-20 minutes or so.

This makes for a lovely gift bag for Halloween parties, Office parties, or even for your trick - or - treaters. Simply put in a cellophane bags and add a bit of candy corn and some M & M's. Everyone will love this sweet little treat!



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a good win over your husband with this caramel corn! It looks incredible and I love the candy corn you put in it too!

Lynn said...

yum! sounds delicious!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online